Following the success of the first edition of our AI4Copernicus event in 2019, the Copernicus Relays of Belgium (i.e. Skywin
) and the Royal Military Academy
are currently preparing a second edition to take place on November 30th 2021
Focussing on Security and Defence
, our 2021 event will highlight the interaction between EO and AI for a “safer world”.
Globally, incidents and hazards of diverse nature pose a threat to our safety and security now more than ever. On the other hand, it is no longer a secret that geospatial information and artificial intelligence provide a unique perspective for a better understanding of our environment in the broadest sense: humanitarian aid, contingency planning, general crime and security surveillance, critical infrastructure, military capabilities, migration, food security,…
Once again, our objective is to gather the EO and AI Belgian research and industrial communities although this time with a very specific purpose in mind: Security and Defence.
Our AI4Copernicus day will offer you the opportunity to:
- Review the latest technological developments in the use of AI for Earth Observation.
- Get a better idea of the future challenges that Europe in general, our neighbouring countries in particular and especially Belgium will have to face in the field of security and defence.
- Witness some examples of safety and security related achievements crossing demands and challenges with already existing technological implementations.
- Imagine further cooperation between Belgian actors.
Besides the more military applications, 3 main thematic fields will be addressed:
- Infrastructure (covering land management, drones, natural resources monitoring, …..
- Human safety (with regard to migration, health, development and commodity)
- Food security and agriculture
Moreover, a special session will be organised in cooperation with Switch to Space
a Belgian initiative for students and young professionals dreaming of a career in the Space sector.
These enthusiastic youngsters, aware of the issues at stake, will be able to connect with a booming sector which is constantly on the lookout for new talent. Ultimately, they might even land an internship or job with one of the participating AI and/or EO companies.
Our aim is to reach out to an international audience; therefore, the conference will also be on-line.